Sunday, September 12, 2010

Made it safe and sound!

Hi Everyone!

It's 5 am in Toulon and I haven't been able to sleep for the past hour so I figured I would give everyone an update.

SO: I arrived yesterday first in Amsterdam. The flight there was a little over 9 hours, but it was probably the smoothest flight I've ever had (thank goodness) and went by pretty fast with the help of a good movie and some great tunes. The food was even good! I landed in Amsterdam around 11AM local time, and hung out at the airport for a few hours. I ended up accidentally falling asleep while waiting outside the departure gate for my connecting flight and some stranger had to shake me awake so I wouldn't miss my plane when everyone started boarding! haha thank goodness for the kindness of strangers... I don't know how long the flight from Amsterdam to Marseille was, mostly because it was impossible for me to stay awake. I think it was just a couple hours...

Anyway, the Bon's were waiting for me when I landed :) They are so incredibly nice and the baby is adorable. We drove the hour from Marseille to Toulon where the Bon's live and passed some pretty vineyards and castles along the way. When we got there, the Bon's showed me around the house, which is old and huge! Marjorie told me the year it was built, but French numbers confuse me so I just nodded and looked surprised because it seemed to be a really old number from the way she was telling the story. The house has all these crazy passage ways and staircases but simply put: It's 3 stories. The bottom floor is Marjorie's salon, a spare bedroom and bathroom (the bathroom is mine), and the garage. The second floor is the living room, kitchen, the Bon's bedroom, bathroom, and Gabrielle's room. THEN the third floor is like a loft-type situation that is all mine with a spare bed, couch and TV, and then my own bedroom! I'll post a video tour later.

So after a tour of the house, I took a shower, got dressed, and we had dinner and drinks. Sliced tomatoes, baguette, delicious pork (which is saying a lot since I don't really like pork to begin with), AMAZING cheese, and cake for desert.

Marjorie's mom is staying here for the week to show me the ropes while Marjorie works. Tomorrow (well more like in 3 hours), Marjorie is taking me to my language school for a placement test and then we're getting me a cell phone so that they can get a hold of me if needed.

ALSO, the "scooter" that they're lending me to get to school and back is HUMONGOUS. Like, really really large. I was expecting some kind of petite vespa type thing, but this beast is massive. I'll have to post a picture of it later. But they're gonna teach me how to ride it :)

Tomorrow I'll unpack and take some pictures, but for now I need to try and get some more sleep.

OH! Also, if you wanna chat with me, the Bon's have wifi so I can pretty much stay connected whenever I'm home.
Skype: Melissa_Yvonne
AIM: MelissaYvonne25
Gmail: Mhernandez25@gmail.com

And I can make free calls to land lines from the Bon's house, so if you have a land line, let me know! Because they're way easier to call than cell phones.

More updates to come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment