Monday, September 20, 2010

A Day of Firsts

Today was a day of many firsts. Most importantly, my first day of school!! Actually...no, I take it back. MOST importantly, today I had my first macaron!! Well, my first 2 actually. Yummmm....

Introducing, my new favorite desert:



I know what you're thinking, and yes it is absolutely crazy that I've never had a macaron before. BUT I'm so glad I had my first one in France :) Marjorie said she's going to teach me how to make them later. THANK GOD!

Now for my next first: RAW BEEF. Yet again, I know what you're thinking: "You're telling me you went from being a vegetarian for 3 years to eating raw beef for dinner??" Dad, hold your comments to the very end please! But I figured, when in Rome right?? For those of you who don't know (neither did I) it's an Italian dish called Carpaccio and it consists of very thinly sliced raw meat. Whoa. Ok, granted, I didn't finish my plate or anything...but I did give it a fair try! Marjorie and Olivier were very proud. It actually wasn't too bad, but I couldn't get over the fact that it was raw. I had french fries, cheese, and homemade bread for the rest of my dinner. By the way they feed me here, it looks like I might have to bust out my running shoes after all. Anyone out there want want to mail me a yoga mat??

And last but not least, my first day of school! It went really well! There are about 4 other au pairs around my age in my class and I'm told that there are a few more that weren't there today. 3 were from Germany, and one was from Manchester, England. I think the others are from Hungary and Peru but I'm not sure since they didn't come to class today. They were all so nice! Even though some of them spoke English, the only common language we all had between us was French - so we all spoke our broken French to each other. It was great :) Oh ya, the class! It's a bit hard, but we all move at our own pace so it's not so bad. The instructor is super nice, so that's a plus. There's also a bunch of people in the class who aren't au pairs, of course. I met a girl from Madagascar, and I sat next to a guy from Columbia who was really nice. Hopefully I can practice my spanish with him so I don't forget it (don't worry, Grandma!).

So that's it for today! Thanks again to everyone for your e-mails and messages! Your words of encouragement mean a lot to me :) Today was a super busy day, so if I haven't gotten back to you yet, I promise I will soon!

1 comment:

  1. OMG, we can NOT believe it!!! We are able to post Melissa a message!!!! We truly enjoy reading your messages. Can't wait to read the next one! Love you <3

    P.S. We love carpaccio, with shaved parmesan cheese and capers!

    ReplyDelete